Congratulations on your decision to explore the benefits of music study for your student!
To avoid future misunderstandings, please take time to acquaint yourself with the studio procedures and policies before you enroll.
- Each student receives a minimum of 35 private lessons per year. Note that 35 lessons spread over 10 months averages 3.5 lessons per month. This average allows us buffer time for holidays and absences. Although most students finish their term in June, students have until August 15 to complete their 35 lessons. No refunds or credits.
- Optional additional single lessons beyond the 35 are available on an as-you-go basis in late June, in August and as needed during the school year.
- Studio Closures: major school holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring break and 4-6 weeks in summer) as well as other short periods to accommodate my travel.
- Class lessons occur about once a month and provide opportunity for ensemble practice, performance practice, theory/musicianship games and friendship.
- Tuition is due monthly, Sept.-Jun. on the 1st of the month. No tuition is paid in July or August. Fees and deposits for the upcoming year are due in June and August. Please see tuition schedule for further information.
Registration Forms and Fees
- Ask for the registration checklist, available by August 1.
- By August 15—
1. Read both the Business Policies and the FAQs. You are responsible for the information contained there.
2. Return registration forms. See the checklist for instructions.
3. Pay non-refundable registration fee ($30 per student).
4. Pay non-refundable enrollment deposit ($75/student) which will be applied to your September tuition.
5. Pay deposit to materials account ($75/student). Your student’s materials account pays for books, materials and photocopies.
Students who progress at an average pace usually need $50-75 per year. Students who need extra help or who move more quickly than average can use $100 or more of materials in a year, so you may have to make another deposit during the year.
Unspent funds roll over to the next year’s account. When a student leaves my studio, I refund any unspent funds. Records are available for your examination.
- By August 20, I will notify you of your lesson day and time.
- First priority for lesson time selection goes to students who submitted intent in June. Second priority goes to students who submit forms/fees by August 15. Other students will be accommodated as space is available.
Absences and Make-up Lessons
Because the year’s tuition is divided into 10 equal installments, students do not pay by the lesson. We also do not make up absences in most cases. Instead, the parent and I keep track together to ensure that each student receives 35 lessons by mid-August.
My travels take me away 4-8 weeks per year. I will make certain that my absences do not prevent you from getting your 35 lessons.
- Please give as much notice as possible before an absence. Another student might be able to use your slot as his make-up time.
- If you need to cancel a lesson, I will assume that you do not want an alternate slot that week unless you specifically request one. It might be possible. In case of weather issues or mild illness, I am willing to do your student’s lesson by FaceTime. It is reasonable to request a change of schedule up to three times per year, after which you probably will have to forfeit any further missed lessons.
- If necessary, we can be creative about fitting in the student’s 35 lessons. Sometimes, I provide extra open teaching days during Thanksgiving week, Christmas vacation and spring break. For older students, an occasional double lesson (twice the length) can
work well. For young students, two lessons per week can be useful until we make up the time. If we are approaching the end of the school year and you are worried about getting your time, please bring your concern to my attention.
- A no-show situation will count as one of your 35 lessons.
- We stay on winter lesson schedule until school is out for everyone, usually the 2nd or 3rd week in June. Once school is out, we revamp the lesson schedule to accommodate everyone’s summer plans and schedule.
- Most summers, we have some sort of contest with prizes available. Usually, we begin our contest in late-May or early-June and finish Labor Day.